Featured Post

Recap of Home Business Bootcamp and Affiliate Marketing Training with George Kosch for 13 March 2020.

Home Business Bootcamp and Affiliate Marketing Training with George Kosch for 13 March 2020.   additional information available  ...

Tuesday, March 26, 2019

.Opinion.: Defending the 4th Estate...

.Opinion.: Defending the 4th estate

In light of the murder of Washington Post opinion writer -- Jamal Khashoggi, I remember how fortunate I am to be living in a country that has freedom of the press in it's constitution.

The United States has had its fair share of problems when it comes to the government, the people and the press. Four months ago a small newspaper in Maryland saw their newsroom rain bullets and extinguish the voices of those who advocate for the First Amendment. President Donald Trump constantly accuses the press and the people who search for the truth “the enemy of the people.”

So. FL News
Some people would probably not classify me as a reporter and shouldn’t worry about my safety. My current experience, after all, comes from small stories that bloom in a college newsroom. But even with that, I consider myself a journalist. One who is grateful and terrified.

I was on Rte. 192, shortly after publishing my theory on the subject and was a victim of a hit-n-run, spent most part of the month of Feb 2019 convalescing at ORMC/ Keystone Rehabilitation & Health Center a HMO Nursing Facility, collocated w/an ALF & Independent Living Facilities ...a curious coincidence, at best this incident. I don't remember the incident, per se 'coz of a concussion that rendered me unconscious "clinically dead" for an undetermined duration, I was told by FHP officer, that I was hit around  Old Town (Seralago Hotel & Resort) while crossing the street, on the cross walk trying to -- I guess, if I remember correctly -- get at some KFC, as it were... the woman who assisted me, said it was a white car... per FHP. Had to learn to walk, talks etc. and balance myself yet again, recall I suffered and survived a minor stroke (could have been major, thx to BPM meds) 'bout 3 years back in CA.

The dean of the journalism school here at FIU once said to me in my many talks with people some folks call it, an interview, “[It’s important] for journalism students to understand the responsibilities that come with the First Amendment.”

It’s stuck with me. But even with the vitriol the government has thrown at me and my colleagues, we are safe from being prosecuted by our own government for our criticism. There are reporters all over the world who do the same job that we do. However, they fight for the truth and inform the public knowing the risks. These people, they are heroes.

In Mexico, more than 100 journalists have been murdered or kidnapped since 2000. In Russia, journalists sometimes go missing and come back dead. The Egyptian government calls journalists “forces of evil.” Yet new people come forth and continue reporting and searching for the truth.
Now, we have another fallen hero, one who wanted free expression in the Arab world. In his most recent and final publication for the Washington Post Khashoggi explained that journalists in these Arab countries face consequences for their words, despite the hope that the Internet would save them.
In his final piece, he reminds the world that nothing is being done about it: “These actions no longer carry the consequence of a backlash from the international community. Instead, these actions may trigger condemnation quickly followed by silence.”

I do not know what I can do to help, or what the U.S. government should do. I feel sad yet inspired.
There is a small voice in my head that whispers to me when I think about the possible dangers I could face in the field. My fear, as legitimate as it may be to me, is nothing. For I face no consequences from the government when in search for the truth, I am (hopefully) protected by a statement that founded this nation. Khashoggi’s death reminds me of both the privilege and duty I hold as a reporter: To hold the government accountable, to tell the stories of the people and to expose the truth and only the truth.

Without this, we risk allowing our nation to fall into a hole of lies, corruption, destruction and death.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment