Featured Post

Recap of Home Business Bootcamp and Affiliate Marketing Training with George Kosch for 13 March 2020.

Home Business Bootcamp and Affiliate Marketing Training with George Kosch for 13 March 2020.   additional information available  ...

Tuesday, May 7, 2019

Living Full-Time in a Toyota Tacoma, Tundra, 4x4(4Runner) Or FJ Cruiser.




Living Full-Time in a Toyota Tacoma, 4Runner Or FJ Cruiser...

How our writer turned a midsize pickup, or SUV into the ultimate adventure home.


The FJ Criuser can be fitted with a Snorkel for forging through shallow rivers, creeks & brooks.

At the end of 2016, I found myself at an inflection point. The Bay Area housing market bounced back, and the owners of my rental decided to sell to Diplomat from Longbeach, CA. And my rent went from $795 to over $1,100 for a one bedroom. They built on the balcony a closet for a washer & dryer, to justify a raise in rent (we were put on a waiting list for the appliances). I was 37 years old and working long hours at a startup, w/ "Telework," permissions and privileges, following a relatively traditional path. AND then got another job at a well known stallworth company company know for airplanes, in the valley and was let go.

Former NASA designer creates another out-of-this-world camper

View gallery - 13 images After successfully putting his NASA design skills to work on the Cricket Trailer, Garrett Finney has started on an even smaller field shelter. Similar in purpose to the Teal Tail Feather and other small campers, the new Firefly is designed to split the difference between gear hauler and camper.


I moved all my possessions into a five-by-ten-foot storage unit and headed to the border of Cali & Oregon and then Mount Hood in Oregon for a backcountry ski trip, with a friend who owned a motor home. On the drive back, I totaled my hatchback, sold it for cash, tucked my tail between my legs, and flew to Minnesota and Michigan for a visit, with some childhood friends, then on to Rhode Island to visit mom another backcountry ski trip, to New Hampshire, went to NY NY to visit family and  then home - Florida to see wife and daughter... traveled 'bout 3,995 miles cross country and another 1,500 miles give or take to FL ... Like any good origin story, you gotta fall before you get back up.




This unlucky series of events felt surprisingly cathartic. Not having an address, car maintenance, or monthly rent etc. ...was in a word, liberating. Over the holiday I started scheming, convincing myself that my late twenties & thirties was the indeed, an ideal time to live nomadically. Being an engineer, I worked through a year’s worth of finances, sketched a few camper designs, and made a spreadsheet of the parts I would need and otherwise planned out what I wanted to do... This sounds too practical and pragmatic in hindsight, but it didn’t feel that way at the time. I went with it anyway, in several different ways to find what I wanted..



I had no interest in vans, except perhaps a compact SUV - 2008 Off-white FJ Cruiser (It was a good deal). I wanted a vehicle that I could get into trouble with, and I was happy sacrificing comfort for it.

So, for me myself and I.... I invested in a 2015 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab, kept it and added a three-inch lift and all-terrain tires. Converted  as experimental ideas and sold the others, ( ie: Tundra, 4X4 (4Runner), & FJ Cruiser ( w/ knarly Mud Tires) ). I chose Tacoma, a basic pickup truck, 'coz they are the pinnacle of reliability, maintainability and when they eventually break down, their parts are close to universal. Almost any small-town mechanic can fix one.



Next I took the hardest step toward truck life, either sold .or. gave my stuff away to Salvation Army. Pretty much all of it. Many vanlifers keep a storage unit filled with valuable possessions, but this contradicted my dream of minimalism and plain, simplicity. My closest friends were rewarded for it like kings. I limited myself exclusively to stuff I needed and that fit in the truck, ( or Compact SUV ) from clothes, camping gear to books, tools, electronics, and a small kitchen. As I’ve progressively optimized for longer 'out-of-office' e-mail and fewer showers, I’ve gotten more judicious about what comes along.


The FJ Criuser can be fitted with a Snorkel for forging through shallow rivers, creeks & brooks 
( just another example w/ knarly Mud Tires ).


Turning a truck ( or. SUV ) into a livable space is a work in progress. For me, the components for a sustainable nomadic life are storage, solar energy, water, a bed, a fridge, propane, and a better suspension, loosely in that order. My truck is currently on its sixth iteration, and counting ...I’m continually finding new ways to simplify. This is what my current setup looks like.

My roof, so to speak, is a Leer 180 truck cap. It’s a commercial-style camper shell that’s pretty expensive but offers features that make nomadic life much easier and adds a little extra headroom, too. To increase the comfort, I added four interior LED lights, Reflectix insulation, a six-inch fan to help with condensation, a Thule roof rack, and solid-fiberglass side windows that open upward. These windows allow me more access to the bed and create a dark coffin to sleep in, which is great in a city.



S


The centerpiece of my storage system is a custom-built, six-foot-long, three-foot wide, six-inch-high drawer that runs the length of the bed. I made it out of three-eighth-inch plywood and half-inch screws. The drawer, which moves on heavy-duty sliders, functions as a kitchen, pantry, bookshelf, snack cabinet, and miscellaneous storage bin. In the four corners of the bed, around the wheel wells, I built custom storage cubbies, which are great for less-used tools and outdoor gear.

The rashest move I made was tearing out the back seats of the double cab. I hadn’t seen anyone do this before, so I was making stuff up as I went. But looking back, I haven’t regretted this decision once. On the rear driver side, a couple of plywood cubbies, which hold my clothes, are bolted to the same holes the seats used. I insulated between the wood and metal, to reduce noise and heat loss. Below the wooden structure, I left a spot for my shoes (five pairs). Adjacent to the seat, there’s enough room for dog food, bowls, and toys.

Unique Camper: NASA Inspired Cricket Trailer - For Outdoor Lovers

RV Ideas By DoItYourselfRV RV News Its not every day that a NASA engineer gets involved with the design of a RV. This tear drop unique camper on steroids called "The Cricket Trailer" is an entirely unique take from a materials and design standpoint. It resembles something from a batman cartoon only more modern.


I decided to put my micro fridge and microwave on the rear passenger side. This proved to be quite challenging, mostly because 90-degree angles don’t exist in trucks, but by mounting the fridge on a slider, I can simply open the truck door and pull the fridge or microwave, which plugs into a converter... out for a snack.

The fridge draws its power from a Goal Zero battery, which runs on three pliable 100-watt solar panels that are attached to the roof. On the left side of the fridge is my propane tank, sitting on its side, which can be turned on and off quickly. I can fill it from this position, too, so it never needs to be fully removed. On the right side of the fridge is the water jug, which is sufficient for about a week or so. This back-seat build took me two long days, with a good bit of help from my dad and friends.

My kitchen is bare bones. A cast-iron pan, a few MSR pots, a coffee press, a handful of metal sporks, and a double-burner stove have worked, without fail, for three years running. Wanting to reduce waste, I connected my stove to a 20-pound propane tank instead of burning dozens of the green canisters. I ratcheted the propane tank down in the truck bed, along with the portable fridge and water jug. It didn’t take long to learn that this would limit my sleeping space dramatically. Seeing as I spend a third of every day sleeping, my bed needed to take precedent, forcing me to find a new place for my utilities.






The crux of living in any vehicle is storage. My solution is a Thule roof box. With 16 cubic feet of space, the box provided enough room for a couple pairs of skis, tents, packs, and climbing and camping gear. It’s easy to open, locks securely, and doesn’t wreck my gas mileage, which I appreciate. It’s also a great way to limit the gear I bring along.


J

A real bed was actually one of my most recent additions. I bought a foam mattress online and threw a fitted sheet on top of it. Add a couple of pillows, a wool blanket, and a double sleeping bag, and I have a queen bed that works well in all seasons.

I’m sure I’ll continue to modify this system, but the key to all of it is: the less you own, the happier you are.





Toyota FJ Cruiser Camping Guide: Roof Top Tent vs. Overland Trailer


Your Toyota FJ Cruiser was designed to enhance your off-road adventures while remaining rugged, practical and reliable. Camping trips are probably at the top of your list when it comes to getting away from things. Unless you plan on sleeping in your Cruiser’s cargo space (which I did for a while) or on the ground, you may have been considering purchasing an FJ Cruiser roof top tent set-up that either rests on your vehicle’s roof, specifically the luggage rack or on an FJ Cruiser off road camping trailer. Both arrangements will provide you with the above-ground comforts you’re looking for, but which is the better all-round choice?

Is a Roof Top Tent for You?



For family-style camping, some roof top tent arrangements can provide more than 7 x 6 feet of space and accommodate 2 or more people. When you’re looking for a roof top tent for sale, check for features such as waterproof and mold-resistant fabrics, the number and quality of mattresses, under-tent storage space and included set-up tools.



An issue that might cause you to instead favor an overland trailer tent arrangement is the need to pack-up your roof top tent set-up before you can take off from your base camp and go exploring or shop for supplies. This lack of immediate mobility, however, becomes a non-issue if you have no intention of wheeling away from your base camp until you head home. If you would rather not have a trailer hitched up to your vehicle during your off-road trips, however, a roof top set-up will be your best bet.

Will an Overland Trailer Tent Provide More of the At-Home Comforts You’d Like?




Off road trailers for FJ Cruisers can provide comforts, conveniences and storage space that may not always be available in a roof top tent set-up. When you’re looking for the best off road trailer for sale, you can add to your wish list features such as generator and refrigerator storage areas, a complete kitchen set-up with ample water storage for full cooking needs and solar panel readiness. A well-equipped overland trailer tent will provide shade and prepping space for meals that rival what can be prepared at home. The addition of an option such as a lower level annex will offer an even greater degree of at-home comfort by providing privacy for larger families or traveling couples. If your camping expeditions are taking you to some rough off-road terrains, however, you may be more comfortable with a roof top arrangement rather than traveling with a trailer in tow.


Choose a Trailer Tent or a Roof Top Tent To Combine Adventure and Comfort




Your addition of either an overland trailer or a roof top tent will enable you to get the most out of your camping trips. The choice of which option works best for you depends on how you feel about hitching up a trailer, what type of amenities you would like, environmental conditions and your purchasing budget. Factors such as your vehicle’s towing capacity, cargo storage space and roof top weight limit will also figure in your decision. Plan ahead and balance your wants with your needs — you’ll make the best choice that way.



A Girl's Guide to Camping in a 4Runner Type Vehicle
A black Toyota Land Cruiser driving through a stream in a wooded areaWhen you go camping, you need an efficient, reliable vehicle that can support all your camping gear and access the best off-road campsites. Without the right car, you won’t be able to take the supplies you need, and you probably won’t be able to drive into forests and woods without getting stuck or experiencing some problems.
Toyota offers a number of trucks and sport utility vehicles that are more than capable of getting you and your passengers to your camping destination. Here are four of the best Toyota vehicles to take camping:

1. Toyota FJ Cruiser

With a look and style that mirrors that of the Toyota FJ40, which was released in the 1960s, the Toyota FJ Cruiser has a sturdy frame and plenty of clearance so you can drive through streams and climb roads most other utility vehicles are unable to reach. The storage capacity in the FJ Cruiser offers a maximum of 66.8 cu. ft., which is more than enough room for five passengers and camping gear. This Toyota model is also powered by a 4.0-liter V6 engine with the option for four-wheel drive and can tow up to 4,700 pounds.

2. Toyota 4Runner

The Toyota 4Runner has been around for over 30 years and features durable, aggressive all-terrain tires that can drive through rocks, dirt, and mud so you can reach your campsite with ease. The vehicle’s body-on-frame construction makes the 4Runner ideal for harsh trails and other treacherous road conditions — a fact Toyota has backed up by stating that 90 percent of all 4Runners sold within the last 10 years are still on the road today. The back seats in the 4Runner even fold down so you can accommodate up to 88 cu. ft. of camping gear and cargo.

3. Toyota Land Cruiser

The Toyota Land Cruiser is powered by a 5.7-liter V8 engine that allows the vehicle to conquer the most weather-beaten of trails and boasts solid axle rear suspension that allows for seamless movement in rougher off-road conditions. The Land Cruiser comes with Crawl Control, which allows the vehicle to make easier turns on narrow trails. Newer models of the Toyota Land Cruiser come equipped with second- and third-row seats that can be folded down to accommodate 81.7 cu. ft. of cargo room.

The Girl’s Guide to Car Camping in a 2017 Toyota 4Runner & 

Hussy LifeStyle

103,158,150
,158 views
Welcome to Wonderhussy's Adventures
It’s hard to believe that it’s been over a year now since I got my beloved 4Runner! Your Tacoma, over the past year, I have had MANY adventures — I've already put over 36,000 miles on it (!!!), and have slept it in it so many nights that I have majorly refined the art of car camping, especially in da Boondocks & Boondocking ( camping in the middle of nowhere, with no facilities ). In this video, I give a brief recap of my experience with the car itself, then go into some of the car camping hacks I have learned over the past year, and recommend several products I have found useful. If you use one of the Amazon links for the lantern, battery starter or pee funnel, I make a few pennies as an affiliate :)
SMARTincomeSystems.com
SMARTincomeSystems.com/CBStore

Join the community Free...
https://www.facebook.com/groups.worldprofit
Tacoma/ 4Runner sleeping platform build tutorial: http://www.toyota-tacoma4runner.org/1655844... FreeCampsites.net Bubble Level app: https://www.amazon.com/Digital-Dreams... Wonderhussy's blanket: https://fineartamerica.com/featured/1... Stove shield tutorial: https://backpackingstovejudge.com/mak... Roxy’s blog: https://nomadfornature.wordpress.com



https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZ7NWDmzvG0Jan 7, 2017 ... Life Season 1, Episode 1 The Boat Life http://bit.ly/HelpFundMoreVideos or buy yourself a shirt http://www.TheBoat.Life/shop Join us as we sell ...
Bob Wells CheapRVLiving: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAj7... Reflectix tutorial: https://www.adventure-journal.com/201... P-EZ (pee funnel): https://amzn.to/2Knw78c Luci candle lantern: https://amzn.to/2KimRC2 Cobra Jumpack: https://goo.gl/2d5LUv * * * * * Support my channel: https://www.patreon.com/wonderhussy Connect: https://www.facebook.com/wonderhusssy

What It's Really Like to Fly Around the World on a $109K Private Jet Tour

Ever dreamed of being able to check off multiple bucket-list destinations in one seamless, around-the-world trip? Jancee Dunn tries out TCS World Travel's global itinerary and, along the way, discovers a whole new way to see the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment